CAIRO Egyptian police enraged by the kidnapping of seven of their colleagues by Islamist gunmen in the Sinai Peninsula blocked a commercial border crossing with Israel on Sunday, security sources said. Police have been blocking another border post, the Rafah crossing into the Gaza Strip, since Friday to press the government of Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi, who belongs to the Muslim ...
Tunisian authorities say a street battle between radical Islamists and police has killed one Islamist protester on the outskirts of the capital, Tunis. Authorities said the man, in his late 20s, died of injuries sustained in Sunday's fighting in the Etadhamen district. The radical activists, also known as Salafists, threw stones at Tunisian police to protest a government ban on their annual ...
Police in Brazil have identified a gang specialising in trafficking Bangladeshi nationals into the country, a media report said. About 80 Bangladeshi workers have been lured with promises of earning up to $1,500 a month. But they ended up as slave labourers in order to pay their smugglers nearly $10,000, BBC reported citing the Agencia Brasil news agency. South America's biggest economy has ...
Nangarhar, May 19 (Xinhua-ANI): Four Afghan policemen were killed Sunday as a roadside bomb went off in the country's eastern province of Nangarhar, the provincial government said in a statement. "Four members of Afghan Border Police died following a roadside bombing in Khawari area of Muhmad Dara district at around 10 a.m. local time Sunday," the statement said. The Nangarhar province with ...
A one-man inquiry tribunal comprising Justice Syed Mazahar Ali Akbar Naqvi of Lahore High Court may visit India to complete the judicial inquiry into the death of Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh, a media report said. Sarabjit Singh, an Indian on death row in Pakistan, died May 2 after a group of Pakistani prisoners attacked him April 26 Kot Lakhpat Jail. Sarabjit was on death row since 1990 ...
80.7°F Mostly Cloudy
Winds: From the ESE at 3.0 MPH Gusting to 8.0 MPH
God created humans with the desire to learn, and as a result, we hate not understanding something or feeling that something is out of our control -- especially when it comes to our own bodies. Medical science has advanced in huge leaps in the last 100 years, and every day new discoveries are being made that could make obsolete diseases and ailments that ravage millions of lives. And so the questi ... ...
Jharkhand Police arrested four cadres of the People's Liberation Front of India (PLFI) who were acting as messengers of Maoists in Gumla district. Police had been conducting several search operations in various districts in order to catch hold of the Maoists who approach the local villagers and offer them some money. Talking to mediapersons here on Saturday, Inspector of Police of Gumla ...
Local police have conducted martial arts training for about 400 school girls in West Bengal's Siliguri district in order to combat violence against women. Recently, the alleged rapes of girl children triggered protests, reawakening concerns about safety for women and girls. In order to protect themselves, the girls were seen enthusiastic and curious to learn defence training. Deputy ...
An environment campaign to enhance international efforts to combat the smuggling of elephant ivory tusks is being undertaken by the Dubai Police General Command. The new campaign is part of an ongoing bid by Dubai authorities to clamp down on the illegal shipment of elephant tusks from Africa to the Far East. According to Gulf News daily, the police awareness campaign was launched in Dubai's ...
A lawyer for the Ontario Securities Commission said a permanent trading ban along with financial and career limiting sanctions handed to a former investment banker who admitted to illegal insider ...
BY MICHAEL McHUGH - 20 May 2013 A PSNI chief said he hopes there will be greater public confidence in the police on the back of talks aimed at quelling community ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
One of four Sheraton Hotels in Waikiki, and one of three on the beach. Next Door is the Sheraton Royal ...Keep reading
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Chicago ChronicleChicago Chronicle | Current Chicago News & Illinois State Headlines
The Chicago Chronicle was first published as a newspaper on May 28 1895 serving the Chicago and surrounding areas. It was the only morning newspaper at the time and supported the Democratic party, although this changed in subsequent years. The Chicago Chronicle closed after publishing its final issue on May 31 1907, after a history of 12 years almost to the day. This new version of the Chicago Chronicle, which began publishing on September 11 2002 is essentially a local Chicago online newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Chicago, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Chicago, Illinois, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Chicago Chronicle.
Oprah Winfrey has sold the Chicago storefront, where she opened her flagship 'Oprah Store' in 2008, at a loss of more than 1 million dollars.
In the store, she sold Oprah-logo apparel and Oprah's Closet items including designer clothing and shoes previously owned by her and whose proceeds went to charity, the New York Daily News reported.
Shortly after ending the syndicated talk show- The Oprah Winfrey Show- in 2011, the 59-year-old sold the space to a yoga studio this year for 875,000 dollars.
She originally bought it for 1.9 million dollars. (ANI)
- Alleged unmasked CIA agent leaves Russia
- Sarah Michelle Gellar shares best parenting advice
- NY bar to host smallest penis contest
- Suspected U.S. drone attack in Yemen kills 4 Al Qaeda militants
- I want to shoot Hillary Clinton right in the vagina says radio host
- 45th Session of Indian Labour Conference concludes
- Seniors compete in Ms. Conejo Valley pageant
- Australia way older than you think
- Mazzarri announces Napoli retirement
- Virginia Gibson Singer actress and dancer who starred in hit musicals of the 1940s and ’50s
- Americans happier with economic figures
- 5 Reasons Tumblr + Yahoo is Good For Users
- Abes Growth Strategy And The Upper House Election
- Apple Supplier Anjies Stock Rally Lifts Chinese Couple Into Billionaire Wealth Ranks
- Russia Building Terrorist Killing Robo-Cop
- Large rally places job demands on Italian government
- Half of NZ workers eyeing new jobs - survey
- Play resumes after 3-hour rain delay
- Outpost Natural Foods plans July start 80 jobs for Mequon store
- Delta to add jobs in Northeast Minnesota
- Frank Pignanelli LaVarr Webb How will these national scandals affect Utah politics
- No Obama wont be impeached Column
- Deficit dips but still more to do Your Say
- Lower alcohol limit is not cure-all for DUIs tellusatoday
- Why Ted Cruz isnt presidential material Column
- David Beckham loves styling daughter
- Brown has soft spot for Tran
- Bhubaneshwar hosts rock concert to preserve heritage art
- No commercials TV channel starts broadcast in Russia
- Denmark wins Eurovision song contest 2013
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Chicago Chronicle headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Fox Lake dedicates firefighter memorial
- J.R. Smith very likely to test free agency and leave Knicks MAY 19
- Free passes costly for Peavy in road-trip finale
- Garza eager not nervous about first start of 2013
- Chicago Teachers Union Marches For Second Straight Day